View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #65
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

Quite honestly, I read the above as a well-intentioned excuse for rudeness. There is no reason why players on any game should ignore other players just because they are unfamiliar (as opposed to ignoring them because they've proven themselves to be jerks). I've played on enough games that were like this:

Pub: Me with New Character says, "Hi, everyone."
Pub: Everyone else continues talking to each other, generally exchanging in-jokes and chatting about what they are thinking about doing with their characters.
Pub: Me, after about five minutes, joins the conversation with a comment.
Pub: Someone snarks in response, and the conversation continues.
Pub: Me, after about five me minutes, "This bbpost says that Cool Thing is happening. Does anyone want to RP around that?"
Pub: Everyone else falls silent, and then the conversation picks up again.

I've also played games where I've asked to join a public scene and been welcomed, and yet when I arrive at that place on the grid I can't get anyone to do a set for me without paging several people and can't get anyone to acknowledge that my character is present after I pose him in. In fact, one of the places I clearly remembering that happen was about two years ago on Blood of Dragons.

I'm not incompetent, nor do I play uninteresting characters. I do, however, have no patience for people who have open CG games in theory but private games in practice. That's not part of "being a MUSH" - that's part of being rude.
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote