View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #81
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

That's a supposition that's possible to make certainly, but given that the use of 'free' that you're attacking is absolutely standard in the online game world (from so-called casual games to MMOs) I think it's much more likely that people actually new to MUDs are accustomed to seeing free used as we use it. Since it's also quite common in text MUDs, experienced MUDers are also likely to be accustomed to seeing it used as we use it.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that there is this large group of MUDers that is being misled. I don't think you have anything other than purely anecdotal evidence that people do feel misled, actually. On the other hand, the way we use free is, as I've mentioned over and over, both completely standard in online games and well within the guidelines set out by the FTC for advertising. I mean, seriously, I've been running commercial MUDs for 10 years now, and I have never gotten an email from someone expressing frustration or disappointment because they felt that our ads were misleading. Never. The only people who ever complain are the same small group of MUD developers on TMC and TMS.

Can you see why your mainly hypothetical scenario doesn't carry much weight with those of us advertising given the facts?

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote