View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #19
MikeRozak

MikeRozak is on a distinguished road
Re: Are MUDs the clog dancing of online gaming?

I think graphics are a good way to get more players, but I'm not going to push the issue here because (a) people are on this forum and playing text MUDs because they prefer text. My point about a nicer UI and less-scary newbie experience is somewhat disconnected from graphics. A nicer UI and less-scary experience (without graphics) will go a long way to getting more players.

And (b), creating graphics is expensive and time-consuming, to the point where many people feel it's not possible for a non-paid amateur group of MUD authors to create graphics. For my own project, graphics is limited to faces (which was a lot of work for the first face, but easy for all the others because they're procedurally generated), items (where I use sparse and quickly-drawn models), and buildings/scenery (which isn't really that time consuming to do something quickly). The aspect of content that's been chewing up the largest chunk my time is trying to make the NPCs more lifelike.

I'll be posting looking for feedback on it when I get more done. I keep finding things that need fixing.
MikeRozak is offline   Reply With Quote