Thread: Poll
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 07:29 PM   #19
CSmith_Fan

CSmith_Fan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CSmith_Fan
Small player bases (like 10-20) are ok and decent if the MUD is young or even still in Beta. That way when the playerbase grows, you have the "old timers" that pretty much set standards, records, etc..roughly "the stuff legends are made of" in a sense, but also, I do like MUDs with a player base that is around 100 player but usually no more. One MUD I went to boasts 300+ people on at any time (we all can guess which one that is and probably be right). It was ok at first but then the problems started. 12 people in the semi-stock "caged mobs" area in the Newbie Zone (where people get their initial equipment and sometimes levels) and then later, in a place where the exp was decent (like 50-100exp per mob) there were players whereever you went to. Was told by the help staff that I should try to find other areas within my level range that arent popular. Reason why they arent popular is because the exp given out for a mob kill was way low...like 5-10exp per mob and when you have 1200+ exp tnl, that's alot of hours on typing "k <mob>". Also I've seen that with huge player bases, new players and Newbies do tend to get ignored not by choice but by volume of questions over the (if available) Newbie Channel. Also, seems, Helper type players usually have greetings triggers set for each new "soul" to enter. My current MUD has a pbase of 20 (where about 50% are East coasters and the other 50% are West coasters) and the players there are nice, sociable and even the Imms are nice. With the smaller pbase, you do get (sometimes) personalized responses. One Immy, when you level< actually sends you a tell of congratulations that she manually types out. Just that single action alone, makes playing there far better than some MUD that has a pbase of like 1000+ people. Also gotta figure too, with the larger pbases, the names policies that most MUDs have doesnt get totally enforced and sometimes when an inappropriate name is discovered, the player has already put tons of time into it (and levels) so they tend to get overlooked. Would you rather play a MUD where people are named Thalak, Katrisha and Claiger or one where people are named MacDaddy,BlingBling and SkippyTheWonderPoodle ?
Sometimes smaller is better..
CSmith_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote