Thread: Death Traps
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 04:25 AM   #19
John

John is on a distinguished road
I'm all for traps when they make sense. I'm just curious. What's the difference between a death-trap and a trap?

I prefer realism in a MU* so if it's realistic to die in a place, then I expect to die there. It also doesn't make sense to give the players warning all the time. If the "trap" is falling off a cliff, then you should give warning in the description in adjacent rooms that the room next to it is air. However if there is a ledge and when someone walks onto the ledge it crumbles, that ledge should stay crumbled and it shouldn't auto-pop back up.

I also prefer objectivity in descriptions so having "death only awaits you there" IMO isn't good. Also with the cliff example, it shouldn't be coded to auto-kill anyone who enters it. Someone might have climbing gear so depending on how good a climber they were they'd probably be safe.

It also makes sense NOT to have warnings. Such as in a tomb that has traps. You might have a few skeletons but that'd be it. How the tomb operates should also be taken into account. Does it shoot arrows at people? How does it reload? Why hasn't it run out of supplies. Is there a room that shrinks to squash people? There would probably be blood that you could see. Also, the room probably wouldn't shrink straight away, there'd probably take time for the roof to come down which would give people who have teleporting abilties time to escape it.

I'm all for traps that make sense. But I'm not for insta-kill ones, as SOMEONE is going to EVENTUALLY escape the trap.
John is offline   Reply With Quote