View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
These are some of the things I'd like to see in the future:

I think that one of the biggest problems with MUDs is that they aren't that fun without the people. Imagine your favourite MUD without the goal of interacting with other people - no guilds, no PvP, no chat even. Most of them would be pretty boring, running over and over through the same rooms, fighting enemies with two modes: wander and fight to the death. And as you play through this single player MUD, you can't leave a single mark on the world. Early MUDs had a lot of reason for this - not a lot of processing power or memory. Now, it's completely doable and would be a wonderful thing for almost any MUD. The big guns like Aardwolf or Achaea might have some troubles with this due to the size of their playerbases, but even then I think it's doable.

Going back to the AI idea, I think that mobs should interact more with the environment, each other and the player. It would be amazing to have a forest where the deer run away when they see a player, wolves hunt rabbits and the local goblin tribe viciously fights off the occasional wayward (NPC) orc that wanders into their domain. If the player catches a goblin guard unawares, he sounds an alarm and runs back to his lair to get more help to come after the intruder.

Another thing that I think would be a nice direction for MUDs to go in would be to interface more with the web. Telnet is great for real time interaction, but for larger scale things a web interface could be a great compliment. I have this vision of a MUD where within the game you manage adventuring and the normal MUD stuff, and through the web you can manage clans and guilds as well as even managing cities and wars.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote