View Single Post
Old 08-13-2002, 12:42 AM   #9
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
In three years of building I've built on 4 muds. The first mud was run by friends, i learned how to build offline using arcanum and put one of the imps in a tight spot so I could build for that mud. I was there a little over a year, and then the only remaining implementor fired the entire staff due to politics, cheating, and other problems. I can't say I was really sorry to go, I had had conversations with the imp about the politics and problems there. A crooked head builder didn't help matter eiher.

By the time I lost my position there, I was working on my own mud with my fiancee. We started in January 2000 and it's the place I primarily build at. The ability to shape the world is graifying to me, and there's no head builder looming over my shouldar, or other people telling me how to shape my areas.

Last summer I played on a mud for a while that had a couple run away immortals that really messed up the mud. I offered to help out the imm staff by re-working the areas that were messed up, and had prepared to start work there, but one of the imps flew off the handle at a statement my fiancee made and reacted in a way I felt was really out of line. So, I left the mud. It folded a couple months later.

A person I had befriended on the previous mud was helping his friend out, and I agreed to come in and give them a hand for a while. I built one area there and then decided I didn't like the imp or the theme of the mud, so I left a note saying I wasn't coming back. Then the imp decided he was going to make his own graphical mud, so the project folded.

This past June I saw an ad for a mud that seemed kind of interesting, it was the idea of an eternal struggle between fighters and magic users. I logged in and after talking to one of the imps for a while I decided I'd like to build there if they'd have me. I built there for a while, but for the past couple weeks the mud's been down for long stretches at a time, the imms never log in, bugs aren't fixed, and notes aren't replied to. It's like the owners of the mud have just given up on it. If it ever comes back up I'm going to write a note and leave. I don't feel it's appropriate to just disappear.

I've learned over time there's a lot of people who want to build because it's cool. As a result my fiancee and I have a test area requirement before we hire builders. It weeds out the people who are unable to even build 5 rooms.

I can build on more than one mud at a time, but it's not easy. I have no intentions of building on a second mud permanently, my mud is my main focus now. I do have a soft heart for people who are just starting a mud and need someone to make areas. However, I've seen twice that it doesn't always work out, so I only look when I want a temporary change of pace.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote