View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Social Media/Facebook Use Survey - Please Read!

Hey KaVir,

You're right in that I probably should have used a different term to clarify what I meant by "type." What I wasn't looking for was the entire cornicopia of MUD codebases out there (RPI Engine, Smaug, Envy, etc) while excluding obvious MUD-like engines (such as certain talkers). Essentially, any networked, text-dominant, live, multiuser "game" should be encouraged to respond to this.

I also stuck the thread in the wrong place, apparently, but since you've responded, I would not mind there being related discussion attached to it.

The rest of your post gets to the heart of why I'm doing the survey. I had spent some time planning my own game with the idea of potentially launching it on Facebook, but then noticed that a small number of MUDs have already created their own clients with a Facebook app as an add-on to already established games. A large number of MUDs also have their own pages, and I know of at least one engine/driver that may be in development which will not even focus on telnet access anymore. There are also a number of small, trailing discussions on TMS concerning Facebook, but nothing with any hard evidence.

I'm trying to encourage any game and user out there to respond to the survey so that some actual numerical data can show up. Where one MUD might fail, another might succeed, and this kind of survey might show the reason why. I am one of those individuals who does firmly believe that we (the MUDverse, and all the games in it) are stagnating in our technology by not reaching out enough to alternative sources for players. While there a few games that try, most remain working on the same gateways that were used in the 80's and 90's.

Edit:

Updated original post; surveys are now available through links to be taken online. No emailing is required.

Last edited by Parhelion : 01-09-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote