View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Parnassus

Parnassus is on a distinguished road
Re: Codebase for non-coders?

I found Smaug easy enough for basics. You can download a Windows copy at:

A great place to jump off from is:

You can also check out this website to help get training in Smaug building:

I'm sure there are easier bases but I this is where I started and I really enjoyed it. Another way to go is to find a mud you like and see if you can download the base it came from. Keep in mind though that the base will probably be a lot different than the mud you're used to because any good mud will have coded changes. However, the basic play should be pretty similar. Some muds will even offer to train you in exchange for areas. If you go this route though, first check their stand on ownership. I prefer to not build for muds that insist on sole ownership of areas. I often build in text files, putting a copy in my home mud. They do need some adjustments as to code.

The two of you may find it more enjoyable just to do the home mud, as you've asked, but the benefit of working on a developed mud is that you usually have people to ask for help and advice. A home mud allows a lot more freedom though.

A different route is for Circle instead of Smaug. At

you can apply for an area where you can also get some building help. You can also download the base to build on and play with. I find the TBA is much better for the fancy stuff I like to put in my areas. However, the Smaug base is more fun to play around on. The reason for this is that TBA is a training mud. The areas are unattached examples that range from ridiculous to amazing. Smaug is more of a developed world complete with linking areas. Your player characters can walk from area to area, raising levels and so on. Keep in mind that the areas are only starter areas and you'd need to build your own higher level areas.

I hope these opinions are helpful to you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Parnassus is offline   Reply With Quote