Thread: Bragvertising
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 04:14 AM   #33
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
> > Firstly, Gemstone III isn't "persistant".
>
> Why's that?

If I kill a monster and bury the corpse, then come back a year later, will it still be there (perhaps as a skeleton)?  Or will it have mysteriously vanished?  If I toss a key into the river, will it stay there (rusting) until someone find it - or will it simply vanish?  If I purchase a pie from the baker, does he have to bake a new one - or does another one simply appear in his inventory?  If I kill the baker, does he stay dead - or does he mysteriously reappear out of thin-air a short time later?  The former is a persistent world, while the latter is what Martin Keegan refers to in his article "A Classification of MUDs" as a Groundhog Day system (or a gradual restocking system), and is the typical approach used by most muds.

> > Secondly, in terms of duration it only went live in 1995 -
> > and there are numerous muds which have been around
> > longer than that.
>
> Sorry, that's not correct.

On July 17th 1995, Simutronics announced that it would be offering games through AOL and Prodigy.  On October 19th 1995, Simutronics announced the opening of Gemstone III on AOL.  Gemstone II had been running on Genie previously to that, and the original Gemstone went alpha in 1987 - the same year that Simutronics was founded.

> > You might then argue that the original Gemstone went
> > live in 1987 - to which I would point out that the original
> > MUD appeared in 1978, and MUD2 is still around (at
> > mudII.co.uk 23).
>
> Again, I have yet to say that GS was the FIRST MUD.

You've said that it is the longest running mud.  It is not.  MUD2 has been running for longer, being the derivative of MUD, which was created in 1978 - and thus predating Gemstone by 9 years.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote