View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #61
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

I did not claim that anyone in the MUD community was a homophobe (though I do know of at least two), a rapist or even a murderer. I said those are amongst the types of people with which I do not get along.

H&S or PK MUDs which do not even require role-play or support it in any way that attempt to identify themselves as RPI are either grossly ignorant or intentionally deceitful.

While you may not like it, the term was invented to describe particular types of games. The 19 code and policy characteristics are a fact. They are common characteristics shared by the two original MUDs called RPIs. Just because somehow this term became popular doesn't change that.

I have not made any claims about my education or my intelligence.

I don't insult "everyone elses (sic) intelligence or education" although I do question your intelligence and level of education. My guess is that your intelligence is slightly below average and your education level doesn't extend much beyond high school. Am I close?

The difference lies in the term "Role-Play Intensive" (or "RPI") versus is it "role-play intensive"? The former is a proper title, a term created to describe a specific type of game. The latter is an opinion.

Is a text-based role-playing game like Armageddon a multi-user domain/dungeon/dimension?
Answer: Yes.
Why? Because it is multi-user though the terms "domain", "dungeon" or "dimension are all questionable. It's also a Multi-User Domain/Dungeon/Dimension or MUD, a specific term meant to apply to a particular type of multi-user game.

Is Yahoo! Spades a multi-user domain/dungeon/dimension?
Why? Because it is multi-user and the terms "domain", "dungeon" or "dimension" are as equally questionable as with a text-based role-playing game. But Yahoo! Spades is not a Multi-User Domain/Dungeon/Dimension (MUD).

Or, to use the NFL example....

Were the old American Football League teams (pre-merger) national football league teams?
Why? Because these teams were found throughout the nation and played American football.

Question: Were the old American Football League teams (pre-merger) National Football League (NFL) teams?
Answer: No.
Why? Because they did not meet the qualifications to be NFL teams until after the NFL and AFL merged.

Like it or not, the term Role-Play (or Role-Playing) Intensive was applied to refer to specific games featuring a specific set of characteristics and is therefore a proper term.

Example:

Question: Is Armageddon a RPI MUD?
Why? Because it possesses all of the characteristics of a RPI MUD.

Question: Is Newworlds' MUD a RPI MUD?
Answer: No.
Why? Because it lacks some of the characteristics shared by RPI MUDs.

As role-play intensive is a subjective term and easily confused with Role-Play Intensive (RPI), calling a game such is questionable and possibly deceptive. Calling a game a Role-Play MUD, Role-Playing MUD or RPI is either erroneous or outright deceptive if it does not meet the characteristics of a RPI MUD. The first (lower case) example is a generic term with little value, especially given the ability to be easily confused with the formal term for a specific type of game (the capitalized, formal term). Furthermore, calling a game role-play intensive because it has "intense role-play" is not only subjective but also incorrect English since "role-play intensive" does not mean "intense role-play". Finally, calling a game role-play intensive (lower case) just to evade the technicality is deceitful if the intent is to intimate that the game is a RPI MUD. Given the presence of RPI MUDs for well over a decade, the community awareness of them and the immense amount of discussion on this subject, there are very few people who could reasonably claim their game is role-play intensive without knowing that they are intimating the formal term.

And by the way, chess utilizes real-time. You play chess at the same rate in a computer-simulated version as you would in a real version of the game. It does not utilze what is called Real-Time Strategy (RTS) though.

Last edited by prof1515 : 09-20-2009 at 08:17 PM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote