Thread: United Coders
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
Zaroth

Zaroth is on a distinguished road
United coding is usually done in the way of freshmeat projects - if you wanted to start something of that sort, look into it, and get one rolling for your codebase. Some codebases have publically shared snippets and addons for codebases, allowing many to customize the MUD with the features they may not have the time to code, or are new to coding and are taking the "snippet manager" approach, which is usually the easiest way to learn the codebase as long as you're learning the language cocurrently.

Too many coders sharing random ideas without a general agreement would be a migraine IMHO - That is also the same reason that many like to grab a codebase, and just do all of their own custom mods. If you have 234923424 MUDs with the same identical codebase loaded with features, the only difference in them would be the zones(both stock and custom created). Many that MUD are very intellectual / creative / analytical, and if they dont find what they're looking for in a MUD, they will go elsewhere.

I am more than happy working on any projects I feel I want to, or are critical without 40 other coders modifying my work, or making changes that I added, and they don't know why... only to have things fail as a result. Circle isn't the easiest codebase to play with, want to make 1 mod, you change 12 files - it's a spider web in that respect, but very stable as a result - in my eyes anyway.

To sum up my rambling: If you feel it's a good idea, check out freshmeat and get a project started for it, and advertise so those with like ideas can contact you and you can get your project rolling, just be ready for a headache if mass chaos results.

Zaroth-
Zaroth is offline   Reply With Quote