View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
What you seem to be missing is that a reviewer can identify a MUD. You cannot identify a player. You can only identify an IP or range of IP addresses, and that is not the same thing, at all.

There's no such thing as a 'false' MUD review. There are many badly written MUD reviews, but the review itself can't be false. It can contain false information, of course. Again though, the difference is that MUDs can be positively identified. Players cannot at this time be positive identified.

Wow, calm down man. This isn't complicated. Why would Iron Realms, for instance, not participate in any sort of list like this that included all MUDs? Simple: I'd never trust most mud admins to use standards for reporting that are satisfactory to us. I'd imagine that's the same for most mud admins, or at least those who are thinking about it clearly. What a small number of MUDs cooperating could potentially achieve is that trust. I'd happily partner with World of Warcraft, for instance, as I trust them to report people in a professional, documented, and fair manner. I do not trust random DIKU mud #1107 to do the same and I'm quite justified in feeling that way.

In the absence of credit cards or some other semi-unique method of identification however, (which only commercial MUDs have access to), you have 0 reliable information by which to identify a player. Even with credit cards, you only have some information, and are still left without any surety as to the identify of the player. All you achieve is, barring stealing large numbers of cards, preventing someone from continually re-creating their online identity, since they are limited to the # of credit cards they have. And, of course, many people simply don't have credit cards (such as many Europeans and most Asians) as we know them.

Because you cannot reliably identify players. It's that simple. The analog for mud reviews would be people posting mud reviews but without the ability to identify what mud they are actually reviewing, which would make them utterly useless.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote