View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
SirTank

SirTank is on a distinguished road
Well, I really don't see anything posted in reply beyond what can be applied as faults to ANY list. So then how can one say this this kind of list would be any better or worse in terms of usefulnes than say, a mud review database. It seems quite ethnocentric for anyone to hold the opinion that it's ok for us as admins to maintain lists that critique the game, and for that matter the immortal staff, but exclude the player base. That kind of a top down view has proven time and time again to be flawed. How can examining the base, the support of the game, be all together such a bad idea as some have emphathetically claimed?

"I don't think people are added to a sex-offender list until proven guilty in a court of law. I don't see how to validate claims that someone is a bad player."

...You would be surprised at the things the government can make up on people and get them indited, oh sorry are you one of those people that believe everything thing authority says is correct, then that contradicts your next statement about how Imm claims can't be trusted. I never said the claims against Player A had to be truthful and verified, it can't and shouldn't expect tobe, but just as we allow false MUD reviews to pass as posts, as stated other topic after topic those are easily weeded out by players or help in the end if they are truely false claims in terms of publicity.

"1) If you don't require extensive documentation, this would be not much more than a rumor mill. I don't think such a product would be useful, let alone fair."

..I point you to the fact that you are living a double standard then. You agree with mud reviews which in the exact same spirit, you despise above. (I do take the liberty to ASSUME here that you agree with mud review database since I have never seen you post about removing them due to the exact reason you state ..my bad if you despise mud reviews)

And the whole rant about a small number of Mud coming together, well that doesn't help the whole, and can be inherently just as faulty as an entire group. It is false to assume small numbers means a result of increased truth, it actually works against it. How many Dictatorships and Ogliarchies do you know that are truthful?

" Punishment should be given for actual crimes, not the potential for one."

woah woah pal, you didnt read my post either. I was not suggesting that the players listed in the database face any sort of external punishment, but rather that it might lead to Imms being more aware of their players, and do or NOT do whatever they so choose.

There do exist habitual cheaters, hackers, jerks that may or will (I hae to use will never) never change. And there are players that will mature and leave their immature ways behind. I only pose this as an attempt to find out why us Imms will agree and live with a system of databases that carry te exact same inherent flaws and weakneses and potential for good use for one thing, but refuse to do it for another (bad player database).

And I mean all this discussion in good faith, I hope not to offend anyone, this is mearly a discussionary piece, I'm not trying to force anything down anyones throat. And I apologize if it has been brought up years ago, I'll have to search the archives or something better next time before posting. Although I have been involved with muds longer than probably 95% of you I'm just now bothering to get active in the communityso I'm not quite up on what has been discussed in the past 16 years..

Tank
SirTank is offline   Reply With Quote