View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
So what advantage does the three post rule actually offer?

In RPI games I see emotes and says done in one of two ways: 1. Everyone says what they want to say when they want to say it, and they emote when they want to emote, or 2. Everyone emotes or says something when it's their turn to do so. In the latter case, thoughtlessly skipping turns makes people mad.

The first way is how role play is done in most RPI games I've played. I've only seen the second way done in two or three RPI games.

Taking turns seems to me to require a lot of waiting. People take their time coming up with highly descriptive poses, and I've waited as long as 45 minutes to have a second turn. To hear it from people in these games, NO ONE does the first way and they can only imagine that kind of role play to be highly disorganized and impossible to follow. Aside from the waiting, taking turns seems to make it easier to leave new people out of a scene as the subsequent players are not obligated to acknowledge the new players if they don't want to (which I discussed ).

I prefer the first method because a lot of communication can be done in a short time. It is highly efficient, and emotes color scenes when they are used to their full potential, or, at the very least, tell others exactly what a character is doing. People also do not have to think up long, prosaic emotes for each turn they have. It also leads to greater immersion as players waiting for their turns end up doing other things (filing taxes, writing the Next Great Novel, getting something to drink, etc.) while they wait.

In both styles, emoting (posing) as someone enters a room is very helpful (usually done in style 1, required by law in style 2) for providing details of a scene to newcomers (that is, newbies and otherwise).

EDIT: I meant to post this on the role play board... Oh well.

Last edited by dark acacia : 02-24-2013 at 11:14 PM.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote