View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Ultima Online also lets you dye some items. When looking at your list I realize that many of these concepts have been used in many rpgs/games. Bosses are common in WoW(raid bosses?), Ultima Online(where they are known as Champion Spawns), Lineage2(also has concept of raid bosses I think), and even platform games. So these design patterns seem quite reusable.

I have seen socket systems in more games as well. The latest game I played with that feature is Fable. Some MUDs also has some kind of enchantment system to improve equipment. Often a concept like this can have many names and appearances but still be the same basic idea.

Doesn't Diablo2 also have named equipment sets? You have to collect an entire set of equipment with same name and if you wear it you get some bonus. An interesting thing here is that items in these game differ some from what a lot of MUDs use. In many MUDs items are local to the area, but in many other games a lot of the items are more global. All areas will then spawn almost the same kind of items. The benefit of the more global system is probably that it becomes easier to balance.

Another interesting concept that is commonly used in Lionhead's games is that of good & evil. In Black & White the alignment you play will start affect how the world is percieved. If you play good it will all look beautiful and good but if you do evil acts the world will slowly morph to look like a more evil place. In a MUD this could mean that some descriptions change. For example the exit message shown when players leave a room could be made to sound more negative.

The same concept of good & evil is used in Fable. In a way I think Fable is a really cool game to get inspiration from because the designers have put a meaning to many of the numbers. If your character eats a lot he will get fat(of course if your character doesn't eat much he will become quite slim). Similarly if you perform evil deeds the character will start look more evil. If he's good he will start look more like a good hero. In Fable they also take it one step further and let characters ingame react on your current reputation/alignment. If you are known to be quite evil then villagers will be scared when you enter town and in general avoid you. In a way what happens here is a kind of emergent behaviour.

In MUDs the above example from Fable could also be used. If a character is scary then non brave npcs in towns could be made to run, and perhaps yell in the room they currently are in "Run for you life! {charname} is in town.". A good character on the other hand could cause harmony to flow all ways around him. Few would be very scared when a very good and respected hero is nearby.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote