View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Re: Deck Chairs on the Titanic

For every 3000 wonderful and valuable players who contribute positively to a game, there exists The One Who Wrecks The Game For Others - the one whose lack of social graces, sense of entitlement, poor upbringing and/or piggish behavior lead him (or her) to believe that the only reason rules are written is for someone else to follow.

I've been a game administrator and owner for too long. Our hands are only tied past a certain point. But up to that point, there are methods and remedies available to senior staff in most games.

My methods are simple. The One Who Wrecks The Game For Others is warned, then silenced, then disconnected, then bad-named, then sitebanned.

They are not tolerated nor given the fawning and hand-wringing attention they so desperately seek, nor ignored nor given more ammunition to take to the offline gripe sessions. We do not fear them - not even the ones who DDoS the server in fits of retaliatory rage (yes, it's happened - yes, we know how to handle it - yes, we know who's done it - thanks).

It doesn't matter if it is a level 1 player or a Senior Admin - it doesn't matter if it is male or female - they don't get to be The One Who Wrecks The Game For Others. Not on my watch.

The game is there for the 3000, not The One.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote