View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #28
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: MUD Development Journal

your right, it is a lot of work, and unnecessary if all you are doing is trying to keep information from the player. In our case its worthwhile for the social rather than system benefits

UOTE=Viriato;45449]Also, probably exist workarounds (rather than common language) to that language system that permits two guys understand each other even not knowing anything from that language. Why would one do that I don't know If he wants to RP just RP, if want to be understood use common language... but random chars also prevent that - if you want to enforce the use of language system only, it can be usefull.

true there are workarounds. As you say, though, why would they? They would just speak common or go to instant messengers.

I am exagerating on this, but I am really curious how you deal with this:
If I want to say "HELLO" to other person and he does not understand my language, OOC I can tell him I will use the alphabet A=1, B=2, C=3, etc, and then I would say "10 5 12 12 15". Does your system deals and prevents this?[/quote]

seen that. easier is to both learn one level then just t a l k l i k e t h i s. so each char gets treated as an easy word. thing is, its easy to see people abusing the system, so there is peer pressure. and sometimes those abuses are useful to simulate things like talking slowly for learners.

its a nice effect that a character without skill can learn to recognize a few words or guess context

the biggest protection is just that players have easier ways to cheat, so im not worried about this
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote