Thread: A Narnia Mud
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Has anyone looked into how the author's estate would feel about such works?

From a quick Google search, they've apparently shut down at least one Narnia-based game:

NarniaMUSH
NarniaMUSH was a MUSH (or, to be precise, a series of consecutively operated MUSHes) based on the world described by C. S. Lewis in his series of short children's novels The Chronicles of Narnia, the most well-known of which is The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. More information about the fictional world and its creator can be found at the canonical web site, Narnia.com (or see below).

An early Narnia-themed MUSH was created in November 1991 and shut down in February 1992. I was not involved in that endeavor. Here's the login screen which I happen to have saved.

The "new" NarniaMUSH was founded in August 1992 and lasted until March 1995. I was one of the founding administrators, focused on developing useful code to improve the role playing experience. The MUSH eventually grew to include hundreds of locations ranging from the Lone Islands to the Lantern Wastes to Tashbaan, each richly described and populated by real players and simulated inhabitants. This NarniaMUSH was set just after the events of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, with anachronisms* like another visit by the Pevensies, an early visit by Jill Pole and the return of Reepicheep. During the lifetime of the MUSH we contacted the Estate of C. S. Lewis and received permission to operate the game, with certain limitations.

In March 1995, NarniaGolden was launched. NarniaGolden was set during the time of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, the Golden Age of Narnia when the Pevensies ruled from Cair Paravel. Simultaneous with the launch of NarniaGolden was the appearance of FreeNarnia**, an attempt to have a more free form role playing experience. A document reviewing both is available here. NarniaGolden lasted until September 1996, when players unhappy with limitations on character selection appealed to the Estate of C. S. Lewis for intervention, which resulted in a request to shut down the MUSH.

The one Narnia I did find includes this rather cautious disclaimer:

"NarniaMUCK is a not-for-profit game run by fans of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.
NarniaMUCK is not affiliated with the C.S. Lewis Estate, Walden Media, Harper-Collins or Walt Disney.
All copyrights are the property of their respective owners. NarniaMUCK's gameside programming and this site are copyright 2005."
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote