View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
First, let me say I know nothing about Dead Souls. Nothing other then what I have read and most of that has been pretty good. The only complaint I have read about it is the "He updates to frequently!" complaint. To me that should not be a complaint but instead a "Damn good job!".

Now to a thing I know a little about: Combat system design.

What you are talking about combat-wise is often termed non-auto timed combat.

You are going to have to familiarize yourself with the combat systems of your mud and all the systems that deal with queues, timers and "is in combat" flags (if any of these exist in DS, likely do on a guess). You will also likely have to recode the core combat and make modifications to most combat skills.

One thing you may wish to consider is an "autocombat" toggle which will allow people to use auto-combat or manual (their choice). While it will take more time it will be appreciated by those that want auto-combat (and over the years there are many discussions related to why someone would want it).

I have done non-auto timed combat for DIKU/SMAUG and more recently CoffeeMud codebase. It takess a boatload of planning and coding.

Again, take this post with a grain of salt, as I do not know the Dead Souls code.

If you would like to run ideas on non-auto timed combat by me feel free to email me or to even set up an online group and I will share my thoughts on designing such systems with you freely.

Best of luck. Keep us informed of your progress.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote