View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I find a mud better than 3kindoms?

> I like the fantasy theme and quests that feel like quests, have interactive NPCs , lots of mobs to fight, secret rooms, more npcs, clues etc
> I also like a mud with coherant maps, thorough guild system, guild quests, also able to keep your gear between reboots would be nice
> brutally honest regarding the pay2play aspect

You may perhaps try Arctic MUD. The game exists since 1992, our world is huge, elaborated and well tested by time. The theme of the game is Dragonlance, and we're proud that Arctic follows the books very accurately in many details (including the world map). Guilds, quests, secrets, hidden treasure - we have lots of that and much more.

The common policy of the game is not sharing the information - you're free to discuss your findings with other players privately, but making the game secrets and quest solutions publicly available is not allowed. As the result, Arctic is full of challenge, rumours and intrigue.

Arctic is free, was always free and will remain free and never become a commercial project. You don't have to pay for play, for perks or for anything else, never. There were a few fund-raisers in the history of Arctic (e.g. for a new server back then when the band-width wasn't sufficient, ~10 years ago), but the volunteers were not to expect any bonuses to their chars in exchange for their donations.

There is just one aspect that you didn't mention, however, it may be important. Arctic is an unrestricted PK MUD, any character may attack and kill any other, any time and for any reason or for no visible reason at all. The characters that don't actively seek PvP usually don't get attacked often, however, you must be prepared to be killed by another player earlier or later. If you absolutely loathe playerkilling, Arctic MUD is definitely not the game for you. If you can deal with it, give us a try!

Edited:
P.S. And as to your request about player guilds in another thread, Arctic does have player clans that may build clan castles, fight each other and do many other interesting things.

Last edited by nasredin : 05-20-2009 at 10:11 AM.
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote