Thread: Quest Design
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Oliver

Oliver is on a distinguished road
Re: Quest Design

Really, I think that's the key. One-shot quests certainly have a place, in my opinion; that place is for rewards that oughtn't to be "farmable." If you're handing out the Supreme Sword of Destrobliterationocaust as a quest reward-- yeah, maybe no repeats. But in general, I think quests should be designed not just to be repeatable, but should provide what KaVir mentioned: long-term entertainment.

For a nice example: if you are playing WoW, you could view the entire game as a metaquest. The ultimate goal is to level up, perfect skills, whatever.

But every time you level up a character on WoW, it (can) be a different experience. You can choose a new class; you can start in another realm; you can choose to do different quests to collect the sweet xps.

Also I never leveled a character in WoW past 20 because I thought it was horrendously boring, but my point is still valid: you can have quests that evolve and change with each replay, and an ideal system makes repeating the same quest in the same exact way every time impossible.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote