View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #38
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road
Re: Delerak's MUD Vlogs

Heyas D, sorry man, switched careers and have been off the grid working 12-15 hour days.
Thanks for the look at our world!
I realize that it wasn't your thing, but I think a few misconceptions were to be had.
1. We aren't RPI, we're role-play encouraged. I think that felt like a major 'um, wth? this is NOT what I though?' type thing with the review.
2. It's Diku lineage, and as such will be _very_ hack/slash as we didn't recode to something without the 'object interaction' it's very much a game where if you drop a dice, the code will know what the number is on that die. It's also the 'murder 4000' type thing for EXP gains etc. That also being said, there has been a major parser change to allow for things like 'get my sword out of my backpack' vs 'get sword back' etc. But, the old 'diku' stuff still works. (see 3)
3. The commands, it's really NOT Rom, (as seen by the 20+ year change logs), but we kept the 'old commands' working so that those familiar with this line of Mud play would still feel at home.
I realize it was a 'first look' type approach and REALLY appreciate the time and look at the game!
I do wish though, that a precursory look into say 'help features' (added after watching one of your previous quick looks) would show 'Hey what's unique?'.

As far as RP type features, some are more akin to PBP type games (you post a story it shows up online on your 'tome' in the Great Library etc). As it was a more 'hands on' type base originally, the RP aspects are more on IC channels etc (back that 'encouraged, not enforced'). Perhaps that's a name/descriptive thing we could change to be more clear?

My approach as always been 'see, feel, touch, smell' etc. So things will have a coded physical interaction.
Long story short, thanks much for dropping in and taking a feel on the game! I'm sorry if it seemed mis-labeled as a RPI, that wasn't the intent. We do have tons of RP but it's not the primary thrust of communication.
I await future videos on games, thanks man!

- Dave.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote