View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
cruelcore

cruelcore is on a distinguished road
Re: Enforced sexism?

It's not so much inferior more than it is a gender role. I don't think this sort of setting could be enforced unless there were many more skills outside of just combat. Say, cooking/tailoring/crafting whatever and it's codedly impossible to be great at everything. A male who wanted to be a great cook would likely suffer the same social stigma as a warrior woman. But aside from that - I don't disagree with you. The theme is as prominent as the players choose to portray to be.

I am going to have to disagree with you here. There's many reasons why a character might have those views beyond FOR THE EVULZ. Maybe the species is nearing extinction. Maybe tribe x is in constant competition with tribe y and wants to keep as many women alive as possible to basically just pump out as many babies as humanly possible. Maybe he just believes it because it's what has always been taught and he's never given a thought to it otherwise.

And I'll have to say Sexist=/=Evil. It's good when characters have flaws. My character might be a aristocratic, brainwashed fanatic of a tyrant leader - but he could still genuinely care for the well being of those within his community. Same is true with sexism. My 'manly man' might feel pity for warrior woman x for being so confused. The character can still be sympathetic. He might have been bullied as child for not being man enough. He might just not know any better.

A good article for that would be .

Last edited by cruelcore : 04-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
cruelcore is offline   Reply With Quote