View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #43
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's try this again...RP MUD

Melopene: I absolutely love your game creation philosophy. Your takes on motivation and roleplay mirror mine exactly. As I said in the Community Survey thread, if the goal in building a game isn't to make something fun for players, what's the point? Like you, I believe that the events and histories of virtual worlds should be player driven and that great roleplay does not require blocks of flowery prose. I really look forward to checking out Anaea when it's ready to roll.

Where I think a bit differently than you do is the idea of player designed and created content. Listening and genuinely considering ideas and suggestions is one thing, and maybe you have solutions for this, but I can't imagine dealing with players as they design new guilds or classes or whatever. In my experience, players want what's good for them, and they aren't very happy if they don't get it, especially when someone else does. The "F" word (favoritism) gets thrown around way too much as it is. I think allowing players to build and code sounds like a good idea, but that quality control could become a massive issue. If I have to review and edit a bunch of other peoples' work I'd rather just do it myself.

And maybe I'm reading some of your ideas completely wrong. In that case, ignore me. I'm intrigued by the possibility that Anaea presents. How long have you been in production? When do you see the beta period beginning?

Just my $.02.

-Will
Will is offline   Reply With Quote