View Single Post
Old 04-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #58
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'll try this for the addle-brained (whoever that might be - if it applies to you, own it. Otherwise, ignore it)

R.P.I. is an acronym. It is not a phrase, term, or word. It stands for Role Play Intensive, or Role Playing Intensive. Each word, when used independent of the other, carries its own definition. Combined, and used in the context of gaming, they refer to "A game that has intensive roleplay."

If you want to add other stuff to that, have at it. You are not required to. And neither am I. As far as I'm concerned, Inferno is a RPI. It is -vastly- different from Armageddon, in almost every possible way I can think of. From genre to code to limitations to plotlines to the emoting system to the combat system - vastly different. Inferno has ressurrection built into the roleplay. Characters do not die permanently. Inferno has an entire OOC AREA - no need for ooc global channels, just pop out of the game any time and hang out with your OOC buddies to your heart's content.

Both, to me, are RPI, because it's the ROLEPLAY that makes it so. Armageddon would -still- be a RPI if they didn't have permadeath, or if they had global OOC channels.

R.P.I. Role Play Intensive. Not "Roleplay Intensive, plus you have to have permadeath." Not "Roleplay Intensive, plus no global channels."

One more time - if someone wants to arbitrarily add other criteria to the term and announce that anyone who uses it incorrectly is wrong - then go out and buy yourself a freakin copyright on the term and license it. Till then, shaddup and let people define it however they see fit.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote