View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Ok, one of the most glaring differences between the time periods (or approximations) that MUDs tend to imitate and the real time periods from history is the differences in the roles and capabilities of women. Most, if not nearly all, games have no physical differences between male and female characters despite the fact that, on average comparison, physically men are bigger, faster, and stronger.

Additionally, throughout history, women have gotten the short end of the stick in terms of equality in society. In fact, many societies have built up numerous traditions around femine attributes and differences. A good number, perhaps even a majority though I'm guessing a plurality, of MUDs are medieval and many feature some concept of chivalry. And yet, they tend to ignore the aspects of chivalry which pertain to differences in behavior and attitude toward the sexes.

Now, my questions:

What can one do, in creating a historically accurate or at least semi-historical MUD, to maintain elements of the relevant cultures while not turning off female players? I've heard several female players comment that if men and women weren't equal in every way in the game, they'd not play the said game.

Additionally, what is the general consensus as to how far gender differences, physically and far more importantly culturally, can be realistically depicted in accordance with the time period one is attempting to reproduce?

Like my economic discussion, I'm primarily concerned with RPI MUDs, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks and take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote