Thread: Mud-AI/NLP
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2002, 12:21 PM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I found an "Eliza bot" on the net some time ago, and it was actually quite good, in terms of simulating a simple conversation. However you might want to take a look at - a platform for natural language processing and commonsense reasoning, with an extensive knowledge database.

Here's an example dialogue from the site (the text after > represents user input, the italic text is the computer-generated response).

> Jacques is an enemy of François.

> He hates François.
Right, he is an enemy of François.

> He uses tu with François.
But I thought that he was an enemy of François.

> Lionel is an enemy of Jacques.

> He uses tu with Jacques.

Right, Lionel holds a "promotion Stendhal" from the "École nationale d'administration" and he holds a "promotion Vauban" from the "École nationale d'administration".

> Jacques succeeded at being elected President of France.

> He is happy.
Right, he succeeds at being the president of France.

> Lionel is resentful toward Jacques.
Right, he succeeds at being the president of France and Lionel is his enemy.

> François is happy for Jacques.
True, he succeeds at being the president of France. But I thought that he was an enemy of François.

It has a huge database of general facts, can store additional ones, and can reach conclusions. You can give it information ("KaVir woke up") and later query it for responses ("KaVir was awake when?" - "He was awake on Tuesday May 14, 2002 at nine am").

It could provide some facinating opportunities for mob discussions - you could ask a mob when he last saw someone, who he liked, etc. You could make comments which the mob could draw conclusions from ("Right, you like KaVir because he drinks beer"). The mobs will need some work if you want them to initiate conversations, but in terms of response you could get some really nice results.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote