View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Veteran Player Placating vs. Asset Utilization

This set of points makes a very big assumption, and then goes on to simplify. With both combined, I would not be surprised if people here find a lot to disagree with.

The big assumption, in my observations, is only true for a very small number of MUDs in existence. The majority of devs / admins I've crossed paths with *do not* regard their players as customers.

For some devs, players are entirely redundant--they seem to enjoy the process of designing something that may or may not ever be playable.

For others, players are more like house guests. They are welcome to come an enjoy your virtual world for free, as long as they respect the rules of hospitality, rules that may vary wildly.

Even for a game like mine, and a handful of others I know of, which does aspire to treat players as customers, the points you've listed don't do justice to the complexity of the task. For example, in an online game, there's a nigh-impossible balancing act wrapped all inside #1 of your points. Namely, what do you when players want to dominate other players while nobody wants to *be* dominated.

And how do you weigh the value of potential vs. existing customers in the context of MUDs which currently all but fight fisticuffs over players? If you try to do that objectively, you will have to conclude that an existing player is worth 100 potentials. And then what? Do you just do whatever your current players ask, even if you think it's pleasure-killing and game-killing? Do you only cherry-pick their best ideas but still feel unfulfilled as a hobbyist game dev because the whole experience becomes just like your day job?
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote