View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #61
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

You've expressed your opinion quite well. No triple-negatives or walls of text ((just kidding, just kidding!))

This kind of ties into the newbie point Jaz brought up. MUD players come in a variety of skill levels and experienced MUDders take less effort to support than inexperienced MUDders.

My perception (created from my own time playing and from my peers and other players) is DR's staff does an exceptional job of providing in game support for inexperienced MUDders, and does a great job at supporting the population given its size.

It is easy to say that customer support isn't as important as being free or having good mechanics, dedicated staff or more creativity. But I really think that is a primary contributor for why so many have stayed around or keep coming back. After 4 years ofbeing away you log in, check out the forums, hop on the wiki and re-acquaint yourself. Then as you go run off to play: players, mentors, hosts, GMs and more are there to ensure you have a good time.

My wife was an extremely dedicated supporters of a free MUD years ago. After seeing some of the hell she went through - and yes, I realize this was just a single data point - Support probably just runs the gamut like anything else.

If nothing else, this discussion has revealed the #1 challenge facing DR is the cost. We may focus on combat, magic, crafting and events like they are all that matters. But cost matters too! And it isn't how much money, just that any money is required. By that I mean 15$ today is worth about 50% less than it was in the year 2000. But, it is seen as much more due to the industry's direction.
Juason is offline   Reply With Quote