Old 02-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: Why is rape acceptable in some MUDs?

In my opinion, allowing rape roleplay is potentially a risky legal move. I've discussed that opinion elsewhere at length, but there is precedent for my concern, which was imparted onto me by a lawyer that I asked for counsel in regards to the issue on Atonement RPI.

I generally support gritty, believable, emotionally challenging storytelling ... but, unless you have really full-proofed yourself against the possibility of an underage player having their character get "raped" on your game, the kid's parents finding out, and you getting dragged into an ugly social/criminal/civil situation ... or unless the risk is worth the benefit of having a pro rape-roleplay policy on your game ... it's just not worth it.

I've heard the arguments that some victims of rape in real life enjoy roleplaying the victim in rape scenarios. I'm not a psychologist, so I'm not qualified to say if that's a good type of catharsis or not. I've also heard arguments from rape victims who are deeply disturbed by rape roleplay being thrust upon them. And, in my experience running RPIs and similar sorts of games, I've found that the players of the raping characters tend to be the same people again and again -- which strongly lends to my belief that (in most cases) it's not about meaningful storytelling, but rather a rather destructive wish fulfillment.

I'm not a prude. To each their own. I wouldn't personally allow it on a game that I run. Part of that's policy (not worth the potential risk), and a much smaller part of that's principle (people are far more sensitive to rape than to other forms of violence).
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote