View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
To me, guidelines are just that, guides and not something that should be etched in stone. I enjoy reading a bit of history, ecology or poetic lyric in a well-written description regardless of fact or fantasy. The real key is context and how you present the information to the casual passer-by. Even I’m guilty of writing rooms that somehow magically “inform” you of rumors, facts or fantasy, as if some person or thing was implanting the ideas into your head.

Usually, I find signs, placards or even a helpful sage-like mob with a few interactive scripts to ease the transition between what you experience in a room to what you learn from the room. Extra descriptions are a good tool to expand the topic started in the room because specifically focused on that one thing. Hmm, let me try and do this as a lark.

At the Lone Tree
Arriving at this lone landmark in the otherwise barren plain of arid rock and forlorn plant life, the lone tree seems to scream for attention. The smooth, pinkish-gray bark of the old Baobab tree stretches both to the right and the left as its diameter is beyond a normal arm span. A full compliment of leaves adorn the thin, twisting branches it has for arms as well as some flowers bespeckled among the leaves. A large, old scar at the base of the tree has split and makes a tall yet narrow opening in the trunk. Slight rustling sounds from inside indicate the opening is occupied and so probably best left alone unless discovering a scorpion is fun. The brushvelt signal grass is greener directly below the arms of the tree since below the open canopy it is cooler.
A small man sits here under the cooling leaves and contemplates the tree.

<Look Baobab>
Faintly glossy, the smooth bark has a few lumps and bumps that resemble hardened wax. Long, violin shaped leaves seem to grow like hands from the tiny twigs sprouting from the thin branches. Occasional blotches of white flower break the monotony of leaf and branch.
The small man notices you looking (if look and target =baobab mecho) at the baobab.
“This is a wondrous tree and has a history,” he says, “would you like to hear of it?”
yes/no response indicated
“Surely I will tell you,” says the small man as he adjusted his robes, “<insert text>”

"The baobab was among the first trees to appear on the land. Next came the slender, graceful palm tree. When the baobab saw the palm tree, it cried out that it wanted to be taller. Then the beautiful flame tree appeared with its red flower and the baobab was envious for flower blossoms. When the baobab saw the magnificent fig tree, it prayed for
fruit as well. The gods became angry with the tree and pulled it up by its roots, then replanted it upside down to keep it quiet."

<Look Flower>
Almost larger than your palm, these waxy, white blossoms are rather succulent with a crumbly appearance as if someone has squished it before but left on the branch.
The small man notices you looking (if look and target =baobab mecho) at the baobab flower.
“Those flowers are the tree’s tears and the fruit is poison but may have some use in potions.”

Credit for the basic redit goes to our builder Rhiannon but I highly modified it. The point being is the transition is a sound way to convey information without the “magical” implantation into your brain inferred or forced. BTW, I didn’t expand on all the needed extras in this demonstration obviously.

Like KaVir said, it depends on the standards of your head builder or owner, but a resourceful builder can always find a way. I personally give builders free reign as long as they master the art of contextual transition.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote