View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003, 02:00 PM   #18
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
At least you recognize that monster bashing is not the end-all, be-all of muds. As far as the gaming aspects go, how would the political game be simulated by mobs?

Yes, that's a wonderful story, but it doesn't mean much. The reason mankind made it to the moon is because it started off aiming to break the atmosphere, not journey to an adjoining galaxy (which is, for all practical purposes, currently impossible). Breaking the atmosphere was a very lofty goal originally. Escaping the galaxy would have been considerably loftier, of course. The difference is that one was attainable and one was not. Pursuing the unattainable is a waste.

Well this I certainly agree with. Of course, the level of most muds is so low to begin with it's hard not to overcome that level given any reasonable level of effort by any reasonably competent person.

I'm still waiting to hear about these games so that I can go check them out and discover that I have no problem at all telling the NPCs and players apart. If they allow any free-form written communication or any sort of creative self-expression (in other words, if they allow any communication whatsoever), they will be easy to tell apart. And, considering that all action is communication, well, good luck. Perhaps if a game only had one single action that someone could perform, and those actions could only be performed in set intervals of time, and must be performed in those intervals (giving no control over the player character, in which case the player character is an NPC anyway), I could see it.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote