View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Re: An Observation regarding muds and country

Yes connect speed is less of a problem now than it was. I recall playing Might and Magic in Australia (opposite end of the world to me) and the lag in the mid 90's was quite bad. Now it is a bit better but I can give an example of how it still matters.

MUME was located in Norway (now back in Switzerland) and is a full PK mud. Ping times to it actually matter. Norwegians could get times in the 20 ms range while North Americans suffered with times around 200 ms. It sounds small but it is multiplied by the number of packets. I recall PK situations where the opponents could initiate combat before my screen had even shown they were in the room.

Interesting point about how European muds are hosted in the US. Hadn't thought of that possibility.

One thing is for sure, the move from Universities to commercial ISP's certainly has hurt mudding. Dumbed it down badly. Quality of players is way down from the early 90's. Can't even have an intelligent conversation with other players these days unless they're oldies. :-(
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote