View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #74
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Reaching out beyond text MUDs

Checked out Runescape. They use JAVA and IE (which is the client) which allows you to play from libraries if JAVA is enabled and caching of images, etc. The game is similar to a watered down version of Meridian 59 (A game I played years ago). It is very popular and yes I have seen this played at libraries just didn't know what it was. Not a bad way to bring in 50,000 plus players.

The question then is, would 1,000 of those players (1/50th) join a Text Mud? Maybe. But you'd have to play it a lot longer than I did to figure out why. I'm betting that over 50% don't even know TEXT Muds exist or the pros and cons of them. I surely didn't back in the day of UO and Meridian 59 and I left them both to play Text Muds.

I think it still goes back to the book and the movie. Even if you argue Books and Movies are apples and oranges, they both have reasons to enjoy them or not enjoy them.

What I do not understand is that in a TEXT MUD forum, why are people afraid of the GUI MUDs? The last several posts have been about how GUI MUDs are taking over the genre of Muds. I scratch my head at this. GUI Muds have been around since the early 90's and I see no difference in them today. Are you saying that we should all find 3D graphic engines to turn all of our games into JAVA clients? No thanks. If you are searching for 50,000 players, then yes, you may have to.

I'm not.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote