View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road
Re: MUD Players' Bill of Rights

Kleo, I completely agree that the 'MUD' is the collection of people in that environment. I think that's why flat stock Rom muds can really kick butt, but completely custom ones and suckith, all depends on the staff and the players.

I think yes, it's completely a volunteer thing with the staff (with the exception of myself in my own game, as I also get to pay for hosting etc). It's when players start demanding 'I want this right now!' from a staff person that I have to remind them that: 1. The staff are players as well, and are volunteering their time to help. 2. It's really NOT a blast to come up with 25 unique room descriptions, exit descriptions and 8 items based off a 'make it like this'10 line descriptive note... We build OTHER things for enjoyment, like continuing the development of the world for all the players, not simply that person's keep. (Just a recent example, the guy honestly thought we'd be stoked that we could make it up ourselves for his character to play in, and that we should snap to it... that's dangerous, as it usually ends in some very odd building heh).

Anyway yes, I think completely the playerbase IS the game, without it you have lifeless text and code, but every once in a while you get that spoiled brat who's entitled to you doing what they want, when they want, and you should thank them for it. That was the only point I was trying to illustrate.

1. Yes I do think there should be a minimum at least. Fairness and honest dealings, without bias or find someone else who isn't biased with that particular person.
2. Not do:
A. Never debase a player, if you want them gone, ban them or such, but don't use the mud as a forum to lambast them with humilation simply for your own sick pleasure (ex-imp we had, split the mud over it, theirs long gone now, no wonder).
B. Privacy: Unless a person appears to be breaking rules that are established, respect their privacy.
C. Play favorites with the IMM: You might with your player, but not as the IMM.
3. Players should:
A. Respect that the staff is there doing a thankless job to improve the game. Be civil, be respectful.
B. Don't cheat, if you do, accept the consequences without being a b.. without the usual childish actions.
C. Help promote the game to friends: the single biggest thing that can grow a mud is telling a friend with similar interests. It's how I found the game I now run.
4. I think the problem again comes down to 'rule by committee', see Bartle's 'Democratic Mud' thing. Same issue, everyone has a different set of rules and expectations. It's as diverse and opposed as people's political or social views. But, perhaps a few sets of rules.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote