View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
PhasmaInMachina

PhasmaInMachina is on a distinguished road
Re: Cronyism and Cliques

Jherlen, I agree with you that you can divorce these two themes within the game by removing a deity system. The game I staff for has had a deity system in place for two decades now, and I do not think at this point it would even be an option. I don't see anything inherently wrong with a deity system provided that the deities act effectively as DMs.

If I was pressed to make a stand for, or against having a pantheon, I do think I would remain with our current system. It adds a lot more to the game than it detracts in the form of random interactions, quests etc. Having said that I could certainly understand the motivations behind a newer MUD choosing to remove this aspect or not adopt it in the first place. If the system is functional it works but if it becomes non-functional cronyism could easily become rife.

Edit: It is also worth adding that the system MightyK talks about in the post below is in place with heavy oversight of junior staffers by the higher echelons. It also really helps to have a staff and community who are, typically, heavily invested in making the game a better place together. It doesn't have to be every player in the community with that perspective, but if the majority do and the staff skills are there then the game should do well.

Last edited by PhasmaInMachina : 01-15-2014 at 07:23 PM.
PhasmaInMachina is offline   Reply With Quote