View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: Needing direction on starting a MUD

Yes, I created the client from scratch.

I am not sure what you mean by "backend", since that could mean a couple things to me. ( General Server? Database server/architecture? Both? Neither? ). If you are referring to the game server itself, that was also done from scratch. As for what "other people" use --- some write custom servers, most seem to d/l a 'code base' and tweak it a bit, a lot, or not at all -- and toss that up for folks to play. A small subset purchase licenses to code bases or engines and roll with those...

If you're interested in time frames to get something from development to production, a side note:
If you've visited AoA, what you see there has been in production for about a year now. Prior development on that particular client/server started about 7 months prior to the production release(Feb 2009) - so, AoA's current state took about 1y 7mo to achieve. The game did have a production look and feel in February of 2009 that was slightly different than what you see today. As with any game of this genre, there is always growth and change. The current state of AoA could have been achieved much sooner, but real life, other projects and other miscellaneous "what-not" managed to creep up - be prepared for that. ;-)

Good luck in your decision and project!
A/P
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote