View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Returning RPer looking for in depth MUD

It's really funny. This set of criteria sounds like a really average list that nearly everyone would be interseted in. Yet so few muds fit all of these. I think a lot of muds are so interested in trying to be unique that they overlook the fact that most people really want a mud that just does the basics, but does them right, rather than a niche mud. Add a good roleplaying scene to this list of criteria, and I'd be playing that mud right now.

Honestly, if someone took Aardwolf and made it a roleplay-enforced mud, and added a few roleplay enhancing features, that would probably be my ideal mud. That is one smoothly coded and robust mud, despite its stock feel. But I can't think of any mud I'd name where I wouldn't have to begin with a disclaimer about this one feature or those two features that don't fit the list. The hardest two items to meet are the economy and the freedom of character. I have yet to see a mud that does economy well, and very few muds will let a regular player just up and change the world in a manner that makes more work for the owner just because a player had an idea. But there are muds where a capable player can become well known, important, and influential pretty quickly. That's almost as good.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote