Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Re: The mud client poll

TELNET

Because it was what I started with. I am of the pre-client generation. <g>

I have tried some clients of course. Zmud, POWWOW (still use for MUME since it has specials for that mud) or POWTTY (under Windoze). But all in all for nostalgia's sake (main reason I mud still) I prefer telnet. It's also clean and simple and lets me concentrate on the mud not the interface to the mud. The only thing I've ever missed while telnetting is the ability of a client to up arrow and repeat/edit a command. That's all. That's really the only good thing a client has to offer.

Hmmm actually I use MS-KERMIT a MS-DOS terminal program with its origins in 1989. It's mainly for kermit file transfers but it also functions as a telnet program. I have edited its keys to let me use the keypad as a shortcut to move. I am not sure that is possible with telnet. I guess it depends on what telnet. VAX telnet? UNIX telnet? Windoze telnet? I guess MS-KERMIT is DOS telnet with a few extras. Hmmm quite a few come to think of it. Session Logging, Keyboard redefinition, Scrollback. Okay I guess I should have voted OTHER! <rolls eyes> It's hardly plain telnet I just realized. I DID use plain telnet for many years.
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote