View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Odd Raven

Home MUD: Arantha
Odd Raven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odd Raven
Re: Newbie Areas: What To Incorporate?

Things to NOT include:
-Agreed. Being horribly impatient makes me hate this, too. I -do- tend to favor signs over diaglogue content (though I believe in having both), because you can at least then choose what you want to -read-, what you don't need, so on. Gives you a lot of optional movement in your learning.

-On this, I'm not sure what you mean, I think. Could you elaborate for me?

-Restricted content: I -hate- this idea. I do not think these things should be restricted at -all- and while I can see having a 'peace' area where you can't kill a mob that's integral to your learning, I think you should never be cut off from interacting with other players. That's a punishment, not an encouragement to play a mud!

Things to DEFINITELY include:
-This makes a lot of sense to me. When a mud is roleplay-based with minimal combat, I'm annoyed by lengthy combat tutorials--particularly since I'm inclined towards roleplay over combat, myself. I agree that the content should be relevant to the mud, though all details must be included. In example, in a roleplay mud, I shouldn't neglect to teach you how to engage in combat, but I should absolutely make roleplay expectations clear.

-Agreed. I can't fathom a tutorial taking more than twenty minutes to a half hour, let alone an hour--but I'm leaning towards a free-range, at-will design, leave when you want/feel comfortable, so on. So I can certainly agree with this idea and I'll be testing to see what I think the 'average' completion time should be.

- -Absolutely-. Help files are something I've come to expect from my muds and this is one of my favorite projects. While a file currently exists to say what the commands are, I'm going to get something to explain what they do so you don't have to be scared to try them out for yourselves.

I appreciate the advice! This is all very well thought out. I'm in the process of designing some concepts for a newbie tutorial and the MUD I enjoy basks in the concept of player feedback--be it our players or others. Thank you very much again!
Odd Raven is offline   Reply With Quote