View Single Post
Old 10-24-2003, 05:10 AM   #24
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You get "zealots" for all types of mud. Flame any mud, and they'll come back at you, because they think their mud is "the best". After loyalty to the individual mud comes loyalty to the codebase - flame a ROM mud on the basis of its codebase, and the other ROM mudders will respond. Advertise yourself as an LPmud owner and flame Diku muds, and you'll find Diku proponents responding in kind - but watch both sides join together when a MUSH proponent starts throwing around words like "hack and slash" and "real roleplaying". Check out the graphical mudders flaming text muds, and you'll see the text mudders hit back with remarks about "eye candy" and "books vs TV". Commercial and non-commercial is just another one of the many divides, and I've seen more than one poster claiming that commercial muds are always "much better" than free muds (cos if you've got to pay, it MUST be better, right?).

There have always been different factions (and factions within factions) within the mud community for as long as I can remember, and I suspect there always will be. Apart from a few closed-minded individuals (from ALL factions of mudding), most of us are able to get along, most of the time. But posts like your original one in this thread are the sort of thing which keep the pot simmering, so to speak.

But who do you think they'd attack when threatened? Commercial muds. And who do you think will respond to those attacks? The commercial mud "Zealots" and "Priests". And that's the sort of thing that will escalate, because most people will try and defend their own muds and end up getting dragged into the flaming.

And a quick response to one of your earlier statements:

I know of at least one commercial mud which is run like that.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote