View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #53
Jherlen

Jherlen is on a distinguished road
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

Speech in emotes would work great, if the emote code is robust enough to know to convert whatever is inside quoted text into speech, and make necessary translations based on language.

If I know elvish, and I do emote smiles and says "Hi, friend.", then two things can happen:
1. In the presence of a smart emote code, the code takes "Hi, friend.", determines how well I speak the language I am speaking and how well listeners understand it, and translates or garbles the text as needed. This is great if the MUD supports that.
2. In the presence of an emote code that doesn't account for language, "Hi, friend." is sent to everyone who can hear regardless of if they don't understand the language, or even if they are deaf, or if the speaker is muted. This is circumventing the code, and is bad.

I think the second case is what Bakha was talking about, as speech-embedded emotes aren't possible on Armageddon. However, you CAN do the reverse and embed emotes in speech:
say (rising from his crouch amidst the grass, his lips turning into a deep frown) Best not be huntin' my food, traveler.
==> Rising from his crouch amidst the grass, his lips turning into a deep frown, Jherlen says: "Best not be huntin' my food, traveler."
The output is slightly different as we're using different verb tenses, but the affect is the same.
Jherlen is offline   Reply With Quote