View Single Post
Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 PM   #49
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
As someone that gave up playing hack-and slash and only plays RPI, I've come to expect certain things from that term.  I've searched for similar MUDs, games that were designed for role-playing, not killing.  In addition to an environment of strict in-character role-play, these MUDs may have a base like the average MUD, but its been modified to remove all traces of elements that don't pertain to a realistic, non-game-like experience (experience, levels, global channels, and everything else that has no meaning or place in role-playing, unless you're role-playing a video game character).  A lot of MUDs call themselves RPI, but to be honest, they don't meet the standards of RPI.  Their code looks like any other non-RPI MUD.  It's like the owner of a Ford Focus claiming he drives an exotic sports car.

By this definition, I've come across less than a dozen RPI MUDs, only a few of which can be found on TMS.  Most of these MUDs are no longer active either (last time I looked, there were only three active and two still in development).

The overuse of the term RPI is distressing, or at least annoying for those of us that seek such games only to be disappointed time and time again by games that don't meet the expectations that term suggests.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote