View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Avalon One of the Better Text-Based MUDS?

Well, if your concern is -only- players online, mudstats.com can help. I've heard that some muds lie on there, and I can't entirely convince myself that that's not the case (if they do, there's nothing mudstats can do about it) but most of their data is accurate.

As for pay to play or free, my stand is don't pay for muds. Batmud, discworld, and icesus are larger than 40 players and each is decent in it's own way; I've been known to play all three from time to time. Discworld has well-done quests whereas batmud and icesus are more hack and slash.

I can't really help you until I know what it is you like about avalon; having never played it, I don't know what's similar. If avalon is the only mud you've ever played ever, I'd have to say definitely don't pay for it until you see what else is available.

Let me put it this way. Hosting for a mud costs as low as $2 a month for a vps and you can get it hosted for free if you really try. I don't think that paying for muds is wrong, I just think there's enough quality free ones out there that you don't have to; if you -really- like it, donate. (as a side note, the hosting i'm talking about is bhost vps, and it really does start at $2 and something cents).

Tell us what you like about Avalon and what you want to see in a mud, and you'll get more focused recommendations. If you don't know how to answer this question, the top 20 lists here and on mudconnect.com are a good place to start looking at your options; knowing what you like about avalon that isn't in all other muds can be difficult if you've only ever played Avalon.

Hope I helped...
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote