View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 04:06 AM   #1
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
TechTv's "Screensaver" program featured us for a whole minute and a half (heh) yesterday and today. We are, obviously, #### psyched. Text games almost never get covered by any sort of broadcast media these days, and this guy is a little over-the-top into text (he says, seemingly somewhat seriously, that text is the future of gaming in his opening line).

Anyway, here's the transcript. The transcript is from Leo Laporte. They showed him playing the game in our java client, etc.

----------------------------
Now here is Leo [Laporte] with another tip.

Hi guys, I'm here to tell you about the future of gaming: text! I can't stop playing this game, it's called Achaea. It is a mud, a text based adventure, online though. Massively multiplayer online games are all the rage, but most of the time it's graphical. This is an RPG that harkens back to the good old days and it is immensely popular, a huge world with the Underworld and all sorts of characters and people in there.  There's 500 people in there right now.

Should we enter? Should we enter Achaea? You see, it's text-based. This is a java client, which is nice, it makes it very easy, you have macros, you can travel around. I'm going to get a little tour of achaea right now so we can see all the people that are standing around here right now. I can talk to them, I can have fun with them. I've created a character called Archeopteron [we changed his name since so he doesn't get pestered]. Stop by and say 'hi!' Text based adventures are very hot, because your mind is the best graphics engine of all. It feels very real. I know people who spend hours in Achaea.

Now, an interesting thing happened recently. The developers of Achaea created a highly addictive drug called 'gleam.' And people took the drug without realizing it was addictive. Characters were getting sick, going through withdrawl, some were even dying! And that's a serious thing if you're a troll with 800 xp points that kicks off because you were taking gleam. In many ways, it's a very real world and very fascinating.

I don't know if you've ever played text adventures, I know I cut my teeth on them. If you haven't, maybe even you  young un's want to try this one. Achaea: A  C  H  A  E  A. It's free, works on all platforms, has a java client, makes it very easy to play. But watch out....Achaea is addictive!
--------------------------------------

It's hard to say how much Leo actually played Achaea but I'm actually a little surprised that Techtv would deign to even cover a text game these days. There is hope for us all!

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote