View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Nutai

Nutai is on a distinguished road
In reading the topic on description length, I was immediately drawn to think about the length of emotes in roleplaying situations.

Personally, I always find myself getting bored waiting for someone to write out long emotes. More accurately, if someone takes more than sixty seconds to type something out, my mind starts to wander and the situation seems to drag. Some people can type faster than others, in which case a long emote isn't such a big deal, but what do people consider to be a polite/reasonable response time for writing out an emote?

To me, there's a big difference between roleplaying and creative writing. Some people pride themselves upon writing the most lavish emotes they can possibly devise, taking exceptional care to choose just the right adjectives. Others feel the need to spew out up to six to ten lines all at once. I feel that these people are missing the point of what it is to roleplay.

If you've got a good vocabulary and can spice up your emotes, that always makes things more interesting, but the most important part of roleplaying in my mind is to make sure that you're actually doing something and that the flow is quick enough to get everyone involved excited about what is happening. Waiting three to four minutes to read someone eloquently describe how they are twiddling their thumbs has never struck me as particularly entertaining.

So after that rant, I'll repeat: how long should someone reasonably take to write out an emote? What do people believe to be the optimal balance between eloquence and action?
Nutai is offline   Reply With Quote