View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
Rooms, as the term is used in mu*s, would not be necessary either way. A given area of space may include more than one center, just as it may include more than one point in space. It would simply be a finite set of (potentially many) polyhedra rather than an infinite set of points.

Also, I think vector math should still work well as is. In fact, it is somewhat easier, since you are always working with multiples of the same simple numbers.

For example, imagine a mesh of truncated octahedrons, where the square faces correspond to up, down, north, east, south, and west, and say each polyhedron has a diameter of 1 unit from square face to square face. Then going to the next center over in a positive, direction perpendicular to a hexagonal face (i.e., in an east-north-up diagonal direction) would simply mean calculating of the original position + (3/4)*i + 2*j + 1*k. Two polyhedrons over would be the original position + 1.5*i + 4*j + 2*k. Moreover, one polyhedron due east would simply be the original position + 1*i. Etc.

*Edit: I had to fix my math a bit, but the point remains pretty much the same.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote