View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
Firstly, I apologize if this thread or one similar already exists around here.. I briefly remember one recently but I don't know if it was here or TMC. I quickly scanned for one here and couldnt find one so here goes...

A valid point was made in the other thread I started yesterday that we should be making more of an effort getting exposure of MUDs to the 'outside world'. Because there are only so many current MUD players going around and it seems we all share those players through these sites, it would be interesting to firstly know what other games are currently doing to advertise/get their name out there above and beyond the MUD community and sites. In addition, it would be worth it to us all if we could brainstorm other ways we can get exposure as a whole.

I'll start with what we are doing for Medievia ...

-PC Gamer ads- We have been running a small ad in the back of PG Gamer since last October. It has brought many players to our game but more than that it has put the name 'Medievia' in people's heads. Since the ads are there every month it is consistent exposure and each new month the ad is there more readers are intrigued and try. Of course we like the new players but part of our reasoning to do a 13 month run there is that more people now know that Medievia, and games like it, STILL EXIST. Most of the time I see MUDs mentioned on Slashdot, there is some phrasing like 'the MUD games of the 90s' and so forth.

-Google adwords- We have been subscribing to Google adwords for about a year now. We have played with the amount we spend for it and of course the more we want to spend the more exposure we get. However, I must confess, most of the keywords we are attached to deal with MUDs and RPGs. However, we do have keywords that involve chat, mmorpgs, online games, etc.

-Word of mouth campaigns- Every so often we urge our players to tell their acquaintences about our game. Word of mouth is STILL the #1 way we get players and the best way to retain players. So we offer incentives and such to our players for gaining us new players.

-Flyers/signs- We have flyers on our website to download and print as well as flyers that we send out to players to post. Players post them around campus, coffee shops, internet cafes, etc. This is not done as often as we'd like, but I'd thought I'd mention it.

If you are willing to share, what measures do you take to get exposure of your game to the world outside MUDs?
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote