View Single Post
Old 05-26-2003, 01:22 AM   #3
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
I had the good fortune of joining a world with one decent sized continent and another bare-bones one. Granted, a large part was heavily modified stock and public domain items, but it was an established environment. From those meager beginnings 6 years ago, we've been expanding to the point where we've created a third continent and laying out the foundations for the areas surrounding the main city of the new one. Our plans are to allow choices of hometown city creation (9 cities of 300-1000 rooms) based on character and race selections by players (each is diff theme). Our goal is eventually make a totally round world.

My point is this was an established environment that was fairly small. With planning, reasonable oversight to guide expansion and a staff dedicated to the vision can make even a single city turn into a full world faster than you expect. This may sound like school but decide on a goal, make an outline, use milestones, plan dates and in general just follow those plans.

How big should we be? I dunno, we're teasing 20k (no autogenerated) rooms and it's going to get as big as it gets because we want a reasonable 'round' world. Start small as experience has shown you and work your way up with carefully designed additions.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote